Friday, June 26, 2009

Mystery Diagnoses: Eczema

Emerson has had a strange rash on her legs for almost a month now. The West Texas heat has not done us any favors and seemed to make it worse. I tried everything that I knew how to get is to go away. I decided this morning that enough was enough, gave in and got an appointment with our pediatrician.

I am not one to go to the pediatrician's office for everything little thing that comes up, but I was at a loss. I still felt silly taking a time slot when there are so many kiddos out there that have major problems going on. Thankfully our pediatrician took a quick look at her legs and knew right away that it was a mild case of eczema. This was not the answer I was hoping for, but it was an answer none the less.

Tonight after an evening at the pool, Emerson had a nice, long bath with oatmeal, followed by her first application of Elocon. I was pleasantly surprised at how much softer her skinned felt afterward. I am looking forward to getting her skin under control and keeping it that way. The Elocon can only be used for a very short time and I will continue to research to find the best course of treatment for her without prescriptions.

No comments: